Hotels.com reports surge in searches to Wakanda Park, Wisconsin following film fever
Yas Viceroy Abu Dhabi is one of the futuristic hotels for those looking to channel their inner superhero and vibe
A little town in Wisconsin is earning superhero status, as Hotels.com™ reveals that searches for Wakanda Park in Menomonie have surged by 55% year-on-year in the last two months*, with film fans seeking out the fictional African kingdom of the latest smash hit, Black Panther.
Wakanda, home to the King and his people, is the most technologically advanced nation in the world. Holidaymakers finding themselves in Wakanda Park, Wisconsin, which has a population of fewer than 20,000**, might not find any holographic beads or nanotechnology suits but they will not be disappointed as the destination boasts a waterpark.
Since spotting the spike in searches to Wakanda Park, Wisconsin, the travel experts at Hotels.com noticed similar peaks in demand for other Wakanda namesakes around the world, as fans desperately seek out the home of the superhero.
Wauconda, Illinois (pronounced identically to Wakanda) was up more than 25% and Makanda, also in Illinois, was up over 40% year-on-year. Further afield, Wakaya, in Fiji was up over 235% and Wakkanai in Japan enjoyed a more than 55% year on year uplift.
Isabelle Pinson, Vice President, EMEA at Hotels.com brand commented: “Our hotel portfolio spans more than 200 counties and territories around the world but not yet Wakanda. We’re looking into it.
“The film has touched the hearts and minds of millions of film fans around the world. It’s a brilliant watch and we regularly see that pop culture inspires travel choices. We love that holidaymakers are seeking the Black Panther’s homeland, from Wisconsin to Japan. Wakanda forever!”
For holidaymakers who make the pilgrimage to Wakanda Park, Wisconsin, Hotels.com recommends staying at:
- Best Western Plus Menomonie Inn & Suites – This hotel scores an heroic 9.2 rating from Hotels.com genuine guest reviews. Located minutes from Wakanda Park, guests can enjoy its indoor pool and fitness centre, so they can train to become as buff as the superhero himself. Rooms available from AED 446 per room per night***.
- Hampton Inn & Suites Menomonie-UW Stout – Located just off North Broadway Street, this great value hotel is just a stone’s throw from Wakanda Park. It may not be as techy as the most technologically advanced nation on earth – but it does offer free Wi-Fi to all its guests. Rooms available from AED 450 per room per night.
- Cobblestone Inn & Suites at UW Stout Downtown Menomonie – Located in the heart of Menomonie, this hotel is rated ‘exceptional’ with a score of 9.8 from Hotels.com genuine guest reviews. Enjoy a breakfast of champions at the buffet after a super comfortable night’s sleep in this Marvel-ous hotel, less than ten minutes’ drive from Wakanda Park. Rooms available from AED 401 per room per night.
Hotels.com recommends the following futuristic hotels for those looking to channel their inner superhero and vibe on the most technophile properties in this Universe:
- Yas Viceroy Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Nothing embodies futuristic advancement like an island created by humans. Dominating the man-made Yas Island is the epitome of Abu Dhabi elegance – the Yas Hotel. Sleek curves and LED lights make up the incredible canopy of changing colours. One of the hotel’s main highlights is the possibility to watch race cars zoom by on the Yas Marina Formula 1 Circuit at the hotel’s feet. Rooms available from AED 767 per room per night.
- Dream Downtown Hotel, New York, United States of America
Fully clad in perforated metal, this stunning hotel would fit in well in Wakanda. The Dream Downtown is in the trendy Meatpacking District and boasts a large glass-bottomed pool, a poolside bar and a rooftop lounge, which offers dazzling night-time views along with live DJs and cocktails. Large porthole windows frame views of the city, while the 314 guestrooms are stylish and indulgent. Wi-Fi, flat-screen LED TVs featuring wireless keyboards and laptop connectivity, provide the high-tech edge. Rooms available from AED 751 per room per night.
- Huis Ten Bosch Henn na Hotel, Sasebo, Japan
Henn, meaning “to change” in Japanese, is a futuristic hotel where guests will meet robots; lots of robots. From the multi-lingual robotic dinosaurs at the check-in desk, to the robotic arm that stores guests’ luggage, or the robot porter who delivers them to the rooms, guests will find themselves submerged in this ultra-technological world. This is a perfect break after a day of visiting the Huis Ten Bosch theme park the hotel resides in. Rooms available from AED 1,109 per room per night.
- Hotel Puerta America, Madrid, Spain
The design of this hotel is seriously sci-fi. As guests lay on the bed and stare at the slick ceiling, they may have the sensation of floating in space. The rooms, designed by Pritzker award-winners including Zaha Hadid and Jean Nouvel, will make guests feel a step closer to outer space without leaving Earth. It’s also located in the heart of super-cool Madrid. Rooms available from AED 792 per room per night.
- Container Hotel, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Container Hotel offers ultra-modern, affordable accommodation located in Kuala Lumpur’s Golden Triangle. This eco-friendly hotel is built from renewable freight containers and features stylish rooms equipped with free Wi-Fi access. Minimalism is the aesthetic of the day at The Container Hotel – with the rooms true to the hotel’s name. Rooms available from AED 135per room per night.